Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Life.....

here I am again, I have officially cured my dog from the enormous ice balls that he picked up during his play-time outside.  Now I'm going to give you a look into my heart and thoughts, because that's what your supposed to do on blogs.

I'm sure most of you will know my long life story that has been crammed into my short existence here on planet earth.  At the age of twelve months I was adopted from Russia, lived as a missionary kid in Spain for almost five years, then as a pastors kid for the last I can't remember how many years.  When I complain to my parents about my unfortunate life of being adopted, an MK, TCK, PK,  HK,  and WK.  I'll explain:  MK stands for missionary kid, TCK stands for third culture kid, PK stands for pastor's kid, HK stands for homeschooled kid, and WK stands for weird kid.  People are often surprised when I tell them how it's affected me being a missionary kid,  they're like, "But you left when you were five. How can that have affected you so much?"  It's not that simple.  Some of the most foundational years in a child's life is preschool and kindergarten.  I spent both those years overseas.  Third culture kid applies to missionary kid, military kid, basically anyone who has spent most of their lives moving around, whether in the States or overseas.  Being a pastor's kid has it's disadvantages, believe it or not.  Luckily my dad isn't the 'up front' guy any more, so I'm less known.  But often you feel like people know too much about you, they're judging you, talking about you behind your back, or thinking you're a goody-two-shoes because your dad is the pastor.  Some of these thoughts can be just a dose of your own imagination, but it doesn't stop the bit of resentment that you might feel because of it.  Being homeschooled can be a fun and not so fun.  If you tell someone that you're homeschooled you are automatically socially deprived, uneducated, and freak.  Now I am not socially deprived, definitely not uneducated (I can attest to that), and I don't think that I'm a freak.  Well, maybe I am because I don't stay out with friends after curfew, don't date, love my parents to death, appreciate my siblings, and am not always striving to be popular (I would rather be actually LIKED than popular where no one really cares about you as an individual human being)  I'm afraid all of the above make me weird.

Despite all this I appreciate what God has allowed to happen to me.  Being adopted has made me who I am today, and it gives me a deep love for children in other countries who are abandoned, or cannot be taken care of by their parents.   Being a former missionary kid (i kind of still am, only we're missionaries in the U.S.) has shown me that there's a lot more to life than small town Ohio.  I know that there is so much more to life than who's school beat who's in football.  I don't feel like I'm better than this people group because I happen to have white skin.  It just gives me a bigger, better love for people in general.  I'm homeschooled.  Hey, I have a generally good reputation, babysit for people during school hours,  I can make time for my family and friends, and I have better grades than the average public schooled kid. Living the life of a pastor's kid is lots of fun! Sometimes.  I know a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that most people wouldn't ever be told.  I know things before the rest of the church do, and I have more opportunities for reaching out to people in the area.

If you asked me what I want to be doing in ten years this is what I would tell you:
I will hopefully have graduated from medical school, woking as a full time R.N.  I will work near my home (i like my family too much to leave them) and will volunteer for disaster relief.  I want to be actively involved with my church music, youth, and mission trips.  I would love to be able to mentor younger girls. I will basically be a total set-apart girl and living the life God has given me.  Now I might not be doing that.  I might be giving shots to savages in the Amazon :)   Actually, it's just my goal to follow God's leading whether that's in Alaska, Mexico, China, or here in the USA.
Even in all the ugliness that comes with my life the pain, hurt, resentment, and insecurity I love that I have been able to live my life like I have. 

No comments: