Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Favorite Book

My favorite book is the Witch of Blackbird Pond.  It tells the story of a young girl in the late 1600's who, after her grandfather's death, leaves her tropical home in Barbados to live with her aunt and uncle in Connecticut (i think).  As she struggles to fit in and learn the puritan ways she is befriended by  a Quaker woman who lives all alone in the Blackbird swamp.  Our heroine has to hide the fact that she is friends with the Quaker woman because the Quakers are disliked by the Puritans.  The girl's secret is found out, and she is accused of witchcraft.

I just think that everyone should read the book who has the even the littlest interest in history.  It's one of my favorites because of the history, because it is well written, good plot, and the author has an amazing knowledge of people and their personalities.  I'm sure I could write a book on books that I think everyone should read :)  However, I don't think that people would really appreciate me and my soapbox if I did.   Now I'm going to write all about food, because I'm hungry.  My dad and I have this joke, that we always seem to go to the grocery store when we're hungry and so, are pointing out all the yummy looking stuff that we can possibly see.  Now I don't have a big appetite, some days I could go all day without eating and the next I can't stop.  My brother is hungry most of the time. So is the younger.  My sister is tall for her age and seems to be growing, and constantly eating.  I swear that she's going to pass me up in height in the next few years.  I was always average in height (still am) and she's always been tall.  It's sort of sad, it used to be that I was the tallest kid in the family, now I'm second soon to be third. 

No comments: