Friday, December 27, 2013

Come and Gone Again

Christmas has come and gone, again.  The week after the holidays always seems a bit depressing. I mean we still enjoy our gifts, but the festivity is somehow gone.  One of my presents this year was from my parents, it was a book by Leslie Ludy who happens to be one of my favorite Christian authors.  Her book is both somewhat scary and challenging.  The challenging part is to live a life totally set apart from the world, and be totally focused on God. The scary part is the challenge.  Today's culture and media tells teens and adults that their worth is based on their appearance and abilities, while God focuses on our hearts.  Recently I have been struggling with some pretty tough stuff, like feeling like my self worth is based on my appearance and abilities. Yes, I have pretty well completely bought into the cultural lie that I'm not good enough, that my worth is based on what I do and say.  Being a quiet and insecure person doesn't help any either.  It's always been my dream to be an amazingly godly and respected woman. Yet somehow the world teaches that this dream is not worth the effort and that being Miss America is the ultimately fulfilling goal. 
This book showed me that even now as a young teen I am building my foundation of who I will be as a mature adult.  Life always seems to get better doesn't it? And then just when you think that things couldn't get better, something comes crashing in on your life and makes it seem like a bad dream. It seems that no matter how hard you try, life always comes up with more temptations and trials.

One of my favorite quotes is from a favorite book of mine (the Wilderking Trilogy)  in this book is an old prophet gives this bit of priceless advice to the hero of the story,  "Live the adventure that unfolds before you."
Isn't that so true?  Every day we are faced with decisions and trials that discourage us and try to beat us down.  Yet we still need to go on, we can't give up.  This year has been one full of change for me, and next year probably will be as well.   This New Year I want to really focus on what it means to live completely in love with Christ and to live each and every adventure that is given me, no matter how discouraging and difficult, with the love and strength of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Liana, you're dreaming God's dreams for you! :) I think you already are an amazing Godly woman.... Not because you've achieved but because a lot of young women don't even come close to having that desire for their lives. I'm proud of you, love you and am going to have fun following your blog!